ACCIDENTAL FALLS AMONG SENIORS
60% of trauma admissions to hospitals in Ontario are related to falls.
Falls are the most frequent cause of injury among seniors.
1 in 4 falls result in injuries including fractures and even death.
It is prudent to manage the risk factors to prevent falls:
· >65 years of age
· Inactive lifestyle
· Weakening muscle strength
· Poor balance, gait
· Improper footwear
· Orthostatic hypotension
· Use of 4 or more medications, particularly psychotropics
· Impaired cognition, memory, thinking, and judgment
· Impaired vision and hearing
· Depressive symptoms
· Safety hazards in and around home and public places