WELLBUTRIN (BUPROPION) SEIZURE CONSIDERATIONS
Seizure occurrence is about 1 per 1000 in dose range of up to 300mg per day.
At 400mg dose per day, seizure occurrence increases to 4 per 1000.
Above 450mg daily dose, there is 10-fold increase in seizures.
Predisposing risk factors
· History of prior seizure
· History of head trauma
· Central nervous system tumour
· Severe hepatic impairment
· Excessive use of alcohol; addiction to opiates, cocaine, or stimulants
· Use of concomitant medications that lower seizure threshold: antipsychotics, andtidepressants, lithium, amantadine, steroids, quinolone antibiotics, anti-malarials
· Use of OTC stimulants or anorectics
· Diabetes treated with oral hypoglycemics or insulin
· Current or prior diagnosis of bulimia or anorexia nervosa
· Abrupt withdrawal from alcohol, benzodiazepines or other sedatives